GIVE UP FACEBOOK AND “BEDROOM FUN” FOR GREAT SLEEP?
Recent Survey Shows Consumers Desire for Great Sleep Tops Wish List
MINNEAPOLIS – (Nov. 12, 2009) – According to a SELECT COMFORT (NASDAQ:SCSS) October 2009 survey of anticipated holiday spending activity, conducted by Opinion Research Corporation, sleep is at the top of people’s wish lists this holiday season. And more than one-third (35 percent) claim needs-based gifts, like a gift that promotes better sleep, will motivate them to make purchases. This fact is in-line with findings from the National Retail Federation’s 2009 Holiday Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, which revealed that 35 percent of Americans plan to buy more practical gifts this holiday season.
According to the Select Comfort survey, sleep is so desired that, despite its popularity, more than one-quarter (27 percent) of consumers are willing to give up Facebook for a year in return for a lifetime of great sleep. Even Santa can help ? when asked to pick the ONE thing they’d like from Santa this year, nearly three out of ten (28 percent) adults who participated in the survey chose a lifetime of great sleep over a better sex life and an unlimited supply of chocolate. Interestingly, men (31 percent) were more likely than women (25 percent) to choose a lifetime of great sleep.
“Sleep is one of the most needed and practical gifts, but it’s also a gift people may not know how to give,” said Pete Bils, vice president of sleep innovation and clinical research, at Select Comfort. “High-quality, customizable bedding products make great gifts for couples or individuals. Sleep research shows these types of products play an important role in helping people toss and turn less and sleep longer, which increases overall quality of sleep.”
Sleep Gift-Giving Tips
To prevent gift givers from dozing this holiday season, the sleep professionals at Select Comfort offer these tips for choosing great sleep-related gifts:
• Customization is king. Customizable products take the guess work out of a gift and let a person select exactly what they want. Nearly one out of four consumers (23 percent) surveyed would like to receive a customized comforter this holiday season and 22 percent would like to receive a customized pillow.
- The SLEEP NUMBER® Create Your Perfect Comforter makes a great gift because it can be customized on each side for individual fill preferences and is available in down or down alternative, starting at $169.99.
- A customizable bed pillow is just as important as the right mattress for proper spinal alignment. Plus, a customizable bed pillow makes an excellent gift since many people struggle to find the ideal pillow. The SLEEP NUMBER® Create Your Perfect Pillow lets someone build their perfect pillow in three simple steps; the SLEEP NUMBER® Custom Classic memory foam pillow comes with three inserts for desired neck support; and the SLEEP NUMBER® Custom Contour memory foam pillow comes with three different layers to achieve the perfect pillow height.
• Consider the value of an item before purchasing. How long will the gift last? Is there an exchange policy or warranty? Higher-quality bedding accessories may cost a little more up front but the payoff is that the recipient will enjoy them a lot longer than less expensive, lower-quality items.
• Buy products that provide solutions. Does someone you know sleep too hot, too cold, have allergies, struggle with back-pain, is uncomfortable sleeping while pregnant, can’t get comfortable in the same bed as their partner, only wants natural products, etc.? If you don’t know – ask. Everyone has a sleep story. There are a variety of Sleep Number products, designed to solve problems, with gift ideas starting at $19.99. Visit sleepnumber.com to read more about these and other products, including:
- Temperature-balancing sheets, blankets or pillow protectors from the SLEEP NUMBER® In Balance™ line
- Naturally antimicrobial, anti-odor, anti-static and dust mite protection from the SLEEP NUMBER® True Silver line of pillow protectors, comforters, sheet sets, blankets and mattress pads
- All-natural Lyocell sheet sets or down comforters
- Warming layers with adjustable warmth on each side so couples don’t have to compromise and can stay cozy warm during the cooler months
- Nine models of SLEEP NUMBER® beds that are clinically proven to improve sleep quality and have helped 93 percent of clinical study participants report back-pain relief. Since nine out of 10 couples are not comfortable on the same mattress, this makes a great couples gift because each side of the bed adjusts independently; no more compromising with your partner. Sleep Number mattresses start at $699.
• Buy gift cards when in doubt. Most retailers, including Sleep Number stores, offer gift cards, and according to the National Retail Federation’s 2009 Holiday Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, 55.2 percent of consumers want to receive gift cards/gift certificates this year.
• Add kind gestures to help someone enjoy their new bedding accessories. After you’ve selected a great bedding necessity/new mattress go the extra mile and attach a card to your gift offering to babysit or petsit, vacate the house, massage their feet, answer their phones, etc., for a night of quiet solitude.
The Select Comfort survey was conducted by telephone October 15-18, 2009, by Opinion Research Corporation, among 1,000 U.S. male and female participants, ages 18 and older. Participants were given multiple choice options. Random sampling procedures were employed to ensure the respondents accurately reflect the nation’s 230 million 18 year olds and older in terms of age, race/ethnicity, gender and census region. The margin of error is +/- 3.1 percent at the 95 percent confidence interval.
About Select Comfort
Founded more than 20 years ago, Select Comfort was ranked the no. 1 bedding retailer in the United States for nine years running . Based in Minneapolis, the company designs, manufactures, markets and supports a line of adjustable-firmness mattresses featuring air-chamber technology, branded the Sleep Number® bed, as well as foundations and bedding accessories. SELECT COMFORT® products are sold through its approximately 400 company-owned stores located across the United States; select bedding retailers; direct marketing operations; and online at www.sleepnumber.com. To find, or engage in, consumer discussion on Select Comfort Sleep Number products, and read the Select Comfort blog, please visit www.beds.com.
# # #