5 Easy Steps to Choosing a Mattress
Five easy steps will help you and your sleep partner discover the mattress and bedding that are right for both of you.1. Determine your needs.
This will help you narrow your focus to the type of bed that is right for you. If your new bed is for a guest room that isn't used often, versus your master bedroom, your requirements may be different.
You and your sleep partner will likely have differing preferences for comfort depending on factors such as height, weight and sleep position. Keep both of your preferences in mind when considering the amount of cushioning foam and fill each model offers.2. Take your sleep position into consideration.
- Side sleepers: Sleeping on your side often increases the amount of pressure on your shoulders and hips. Many side sleepers experience uncomfortable pressure points, often accompanied by numbness or tingling in arms or legs.
Side sleepers may be most comfortable on a sleep surface with more cushioning. Every Sleep Number® bed features a Pillowtop-style mattress in a range of topper thicknesses.
- Back sleepers: When you sleep on your back, your weight is usually more evenly distributed over a larger surface. However, on a bed you can't adjust, the natural curves of your back may have to shift alignment in order to meet the mattress.
On any style of Sleep Number bed, you can adjust the mattress at the touch of a button for contouring comfort and more natural spinal alignment.
- Stomach sleepers: Sleeping on your stomach is not recommended by sleep professionals and presents many comfort challenges. The back doesn't like to be arched backwards, so it's important that the sleeping surface properly respond to the body's shape and weight distribution.
Stomach sleepers might consider a Sleep Number bed that offers a supportive yet soft surface to more properly support the back and spine.
The size of your bed matters. As a general guideline, choose a bed that is at least 4 inches longer than the height of the tallest sleeper and wide enough so that each sleeper can comfortably rest without overlapping his/her sleeping partner. It's generally recommended to have the largest bed your space will allow.
The Sleep Number bed is available in all standard bed sizes including Eastern and California King. We also carry specialty sizes such as the extra-spacious Expanded Queen size that fits traditional Queen bed frames. View Mattress Size Guide4. Consider your budget.
If it's been a while since you last looked at quality mattresses, you may be surprised by the wide range of prices. The rule of thumb is to get the best mattress you can afford. Remember that the Sleep Number bed is available in eight unique models that offer a wide range of options to fit both your comfort and budget preferences.5. Make it a complete sleep experience.
Everyone’s different—that means everyone has their own unique sleep needs. The SLEEP NUMBER® bedding collection addresses those needs with the highest quality solutions to help you sleep your best.The proper mix of accessories will allow you to:
- Customize the way your head and neck are supported based on your sleep position. Visit a store and let one of our Sleep Professionals use PillowFitSM expertise to help you find the right pillow for you.
- Whether you or your partner sleep too hot or too cool, you’ll both sleep at the perfect temperature with our Temperature Balancing bedding solutions.
- Accommodate allergies or other sleep sensitivities either you or your partner may experience with our Natural Allergy Defense bedding solutions.
- Protect your mattress while enhancing its comfort. Our Total Protection Mattress Pad guarantees peace of mind with a 10-year limited warranty.*